Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Huawei reacted swiftly, albeit vaguely, after Alphabet Inc’s Google severed several businesses in response to U.S. government policies. Google’s announcement, which was effective immediately, will affect the transfer of hardware, software as well as technical services except those that are available public through open source licensing.
The decision resulted to Huawei losing access to Android operating system outright, while the newest version of its smartphones outside China will also not given access to common applications, including Gmail, YouTube, Google Play Store, and other services.
However, Huawei highlighted its contributions to the advancement of Android globally, which also saw its global sales of Android phones growing by double digits, by assuring its customers of continued security updates and after-sales service.
The company said in a statement, “Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.
Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.
We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.”
On Sunday, Google gave Huawei a major blow when it announced it would revoke its Android apps with the smartphone maker.
“Huawei will only be able to use the public version of Android and will not be able to get access to proprietary apps and services from Google,” a Reuters report quoted a source as saying.
Google’s latest move could have a profound impact on Huawei’s smartphones sales outside China, industry observers said. Although the Chinese firm could engage non-American firms in a partnership to provide alternatives to favorite Google apps that it lost, its inability to offer access to Play Store is seen as a significant setback to any potential Huawei buyers. Even Huawei’s in-house operating system that it boasts of working on for some time will not be enough to convince consumers.
Luckily for existing Huawei phone users, there is no need for concern at this time.
The Trump administration has been trying to blacklist Huawei across the world over alleged security concerns. A spokesperson for Google said the company is “complying with the order and reviewing the implications.”
Last week, Donald Trump included Huawei Technologies Co Ltd to the U.S. trade blacklist and ordered restrictions that would give the Chinese company a difficult time to conduct business with its U.S. counterparts.
However, on Friday, the U.S. Commerce Department stated it was open to the idea of scaling back the restrictions to “prevent the interruption of existing network operations and equipment.”
In a separate report, EFTM said Huawei’s Mate 30 device, which is scheduled for release this October, is likely to be the first casualty of Google’s decision.